BMW has unveiled a new, low-cost, electric motorcycle aimed towards a younger urban and suburban buyer. The BMW CE 02 will have a price tag of just $7,599 plus destination and comes to the U.S. market as a 2024 model.
“With the CE 02, we are striving for something new at BMW Motorrad and want to be pioneers once again. Thanks to its unusual proportions and striking graphics, the new CE 02 is an uncomplicated, youthful form of single-track mobility. The reduced design language stands for lightness and fun. The focus is not on utility, but on emotional appeal, riding pleasure and uncomplicated, almost intuitive use,” explains Edgar Heinrich, Head of BMW Motorrad Design.
The 2024 BMW CE 02 carries 8 horsepower with a 15 HP maximum output for short periods. It delivers 40.6 pound-feet of torque and is powered by a set of 1.96 kWh lithium-ion batteries, separated to balance the motorcycle’s ride. The 3.92 kWh of battery gives the CE 02 an estimated range of over 56 miles.
Key features of the BMW CE 02 include:
- Maximum power: 15 hp, rated power: 8 hp, torque: 40.6 lb-ft
- Two 48v, 1.96 kWh lithium-ion batteries.
- Steel frame and single-sided rear swingarm.
- Telescopic front forks
- BMW Motorrad ABS (front wheel only).
- ASC (Automatic Stability Control) and RSC (Recuperative Stability Control).
- Reversing aid
- Two standard riding modes “Flow” and “Surf”.
- Third driving mode “Flash” as part of the optional HIGHLINE package.
- Low seat height of 29.5 inches.
- Suitable for riding two-up
- Keyless Ride.
- LED headlights, tail-light and turn signals.
- 3.5″ micro TFT display.
- USB-C socket.
- Cradle mode in the BMW Motorrad Connected app.
- BMW Motorrad Connected Services
- 0.9 kW external charger for household sockets. 1.5kW quick charger part of optional HIGHLINE package.
- Anti-theft alarm preparation
Aaron is an automotive journalist living in Wyoming, USA. His background includes technology, mechanics, commercial vehicles, and new vehicle evaluations. Aaron is a member of several automotive media groups and writes for many well-known publications.